- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1-inch thick slice of crusty bread, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, chopped or slivered (can substitute hazelnuts, peeled)
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15 oz. can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. jar of roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika (preferred) or sweet paprika
- 1-2 Tsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the top off of the head of garlic, pour a teaspoon of olive oil over the garlic, and roast for 20-30 minutes. Reserve a couple of pieces of garlic from the top that was cut off. Leave the oven on after the garlic has roasted.
Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, sauté the bread and almonds, stirring often, until they just begin to brown. Add the reserved garlic pieces and sauté another 1-2 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Place the contents of the sauté pan into a food processor with the remaining ingredients—salt, tomatoes, roasted bell peppers, smoked paprika, vinegar, roasted garlic. Purée until smooth. Spread the sauce out on a rimmed sheet pan and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the edges begin to caramelize. Allow to cool and scrape into a container to store.